I am on informal probation for DUI for 3 yrs. I am a US citizen planning to marry a girl who is on workpermit. Can I sponsor her

Asked almost 2 years ago - Alhambra, CA

I would like to sponsor for her green card once we get married and I am on informal Probation till March 2015. No other issues. Are there any difficulties I am going to face.

1. Michael Larson Stuart

5

Answered . I agree that there should be no problem because of the fact that you are on DUI probation. After 18 months of successful probation, you may be able to petition the court to terminate your probation early. Contact a local attorney to handle that for you.

Never discuss confidential information on a public website. Always speak with an attorney in a confidential setting.

The above response is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes and is not a legal consultation. You must talk with an attorney of your choice before making any decision about your actual legal rights.

2. Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff

4

1

Answered . The fact that you are on probation will not affect your wife's eligibility to immigrate to the U.S. if she is otherwise eligible.

3. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . The only crimes that impact a US citizen's ability to petition a relative for immigration benefits are sex crimes.

4. Greg McLawsen

Pro

5

Answered . As a U.S. citizen, your criminal record won't take away the ability to file a visa petition for a fiancee or wife. But whether and how you are able to file a petition for her will depend on her immigration situation (which is more complicated then having or not having a work permit).

Hope that helps.

5. Veronica Tunitsky

5

Answered . While there are some criminal issues that affect petitioner's ability to sponsor a spouse for a green card, the DUI is not one of them.