I am on H4 now . Can I apply for H1 - B visa staying in India ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I am on H4 visa now , and going to India on March 12th and will be back in june . can my employer file my H1 - B petition on April 1st even if I am in India . From October 1st , my status will change to H1 - B , so before October 1st , can I comeback to US on H4 status or do I have to wait till October 1st in India itself and get the H1 - B stamping done to comeback to US .

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, your employer can file an H-1B petition for you while you are in India.

Upon your return you will still be readmitted on H-4 status. You cannot get "h-1B stamping" until September 20, the earliest.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . The filing of an H-1B does not require that the beneficiary be in the US.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

3

Answered . You employer can seek H-1B in your behalf while you are abroad. Ideally you will seek entry after the H-1B visa has been issued to you.

4. Madanmohan Singh Ahluwalia

1

Answered . I agree with other lawyers. I think the problem which you need to address is when you want to come back. If you intend to return in June, then you can only return in H4 status. Since you can not work until October 1, 2013, you probably will have to file change of status from H4 to H1. You should consult with a lawyer and strategize your visit to India, filing of H1b petition and then change of status from H4 to H1 upon return.

One or more answers have been taken down.