Skip to main content

I am on F1 visa and was arrested outside the city of the school for Indecent exposure. Now my school is taking action against it

Salem, NH |

Reason is violation of Student code of conduct. What to do if am dismissed or expelled from the school? How to maintain my status?
I don't want to go out of US. I have just 3 months to finish my school.

Attorney Answers 3


This is a complex situation and besides the advise of a competent criminal defense counsel unless you already dealt with this portion the school may very well be in their right to expel you but they surely must have some internal code of conduct or appeal's process by which you can get a hearing perhaps with the provost of the school and contest your internal school's code of conduct violation. I would hire competent counsel now even for the school issue since the school often do not want to get bogged down with a lawsuit and attorneys and may very well backdown and provide for a less drastic punishment short of expelling you. If they did you would be out of status and they would update SEVIS immediately. You may want to immediately file for a change of status to B-2 just to bridge your status OR simply promptly depart the US, and re-apply from outside the US to another school to be able to complete you remaining credit hours/classes. good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Calehr

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Look into option of transfererring to another school. Look in book of Student code of conduct, attend school hearing and hire counsel to defend you in school.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. (212)880-1538 Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit is a Full Service Immigration Law Office, at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics