Skip to main content

I am on f1 visa, getting married to U S citizen

Everett, WA |
Filed under: Immigrant status

I am on f1 visa,I am engaged and getting married to U S citizen, who has a criminal record in past years.Now he didnt have any big issue , just some car accident ticket. I have a question that if there is any problem for us in immigration matter? I didnt have any criminal record. or is there will be any problem for me for getting permanent residence? please help

Attorney Answers 3


It all depends if you can convince the service that you have a bona fide marriage and are not getting married simply to get a green card. If he is a citizen, the Service will not care about a ticket the focus will be on you and your background. When you obtained you F1 Visa, it was predicated on your intent to return to your home country once your education is completed. So the inquiry will be, are you simply getting married to stay in the country.

Hope this helps

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



thanks a lot for your help, but he had a gunshot assault and fire arm possesion case in past years. Right now I am done with opt and I have started my college this april, so I am on status right now. I am just wondering would they mind about his criminal history?plz reply


It sounds like there will not be a problem unless he is a convicted sex offender.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with the other attorneys, his conviction shouldn't be a problem.

Talk to an attorney.
Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

FIRST 5-10 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient for both of us:

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or - If you are low income go here: or

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics