I am on f1 visa, getting married to U S citizen

Everett, WA |

I am on f1 visa,I am engaged and getting married to U S citizen, who has a criminal record in past years.Now he didnt have any big issue , just some car accident ticket. I have a question that if there is any problem for us in immigration matter? I didnt have any criminal record. or is there will be any problem for me for getting permanent residence? please help

It all depends if you can convince the service that you have a bona fide marriage and are not getting married simply to get a green card. If he is a citizen, the Service will not care about a ticket the focus will be on you and your background. When you obtained you F1 Visa, it was predicated on your intent to return to your home country once your education is completed. So the inquiry will be, are you simply getting married to stay in the country.

Hope this helps

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

thanks a lot for your help, but he had a gunshot assault and fire arm possesion case in past years. Right now I am done with opt and I have started my college this april, so I am on status right now. I am just wondering would they mind about his criminal history?plz reply

It sounds like there will not be a problem unless he is a convicted sex offender.

I agree with the other attorneys, his conviction shouldn't be a problem.

Talk to an attorney.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

FIRST 5-10 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient for both of us: franco@capriotti.com

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or www.ailalawyer.com - If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/
_____________________________________________________________________________________

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics