I am on f1 visa, getting married to U S citizen

Asked over 2 years ago - Everett, WA

I am on f1 visa,I am engaged and getting married to U S citizen, who has a criminal record in past years.Now he didnt have any big issue , just some car accident ticket. I have a question that if there is any problem for us in immigration matter? I didnt have any criminal record. or is there will be any problem for me for getting permanent residence? please help

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . It all depends if you can convince the service that you have a bona fide marriage and are not getting married simply to get a green card. If he is a citizen, the Service will not care about a ticket the focus will be on you and your background. When you obtained you F1 Visa, it was predicated on your intent to return to your home country once your education is completed. So the inquiry will be, are you simply getting married to stay in the country.

Hope this helps

2. Robert West

1

Answered . It sounds like there will not be a problem unless he is a convicted sex offender.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, his conviction shouldn't be a problem.

Talk to an attorney.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

FIRST 5-10 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient for both of us: franco@capriotti.com

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
    Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or www.ailalawyer.com - If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/
    _____________________________________________________________________________________