Skip to main content

I am on F-1 visa but am married to a US citizen and trying to apply for adjustment of status. what forms do i need to file?

Beaverton, OR |

what kind of forms do i need to file and also if its possible to do it myself or do i need an attorney

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Of course get a lawyer. It's worth it! Forms depend on your particular situation. But they are I-130, G 325A, I -864 sometimes plus I-864A; I -485, I 131, I 765. :) Get a lawyer!

    This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.

  2. it is not just about the forms. You should hire an attorney to assist you with not only the form but US immigration laws related to what you are trying to achieve. Good luck!

    The Law Office of David N. Shomloo, LLC. David N. Shomloo, Esq. Immigration/Criminal practice 222 N W Davis st. no. 402 Portland, Oregon 97209 503-220-5045 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. It is possible to file yourself. However, an immigration attorney can assist you on the procedural nuances and technical requirements necessary to submit a successful application. The forms you would need to file really does depend on your situation as stated by my colleagues. You should contact an immigration attorney to help you determine what options are available to you.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201;; 503-227-0965. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

  4. I agree with my colleagues, given that filing for an adjusment of status, is a complicated and a highly individual process, see an experienced immigration attorney for a consulation. Spending a couple hundred dollars to learn about the process, steps involved, processing times, as well as the documentation to be submitted, is absolutely worth it. I am a local Portland immigration attorney. Feel free to call my office or email me with any additional questions that you may have.



    The Batrakova Law Office | Irina S. Batrakova
    5 Centerpointe Drive, Suite 400 | Lake Oswego, OR 97035
    tel: 503.443-2486 | fax: 971.204.0230 |

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics