I am on F-1 visa. My husband is a US citizen. I wish to apply for permanent residency through marriage. What forms are required?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rio Rancho, NM

My F-1 visa and I-20 are expiring in August. I would not like to be out of status. Do I need to apply for change of status? Are there any forms for people already in the United States?

1. Philip Alan Eichorn

4

Answered . The forms required are the I-130, I-485 and all collateral forms annotated on the instructions for these two forms. If you're married, you can file now. There is no reason to wait. You do not file for change of status. You file for adjustment of status using the aforementioned I-485. Please consider using counsel for this as protecting your status is also protecting your family unit.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . You really need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

Based on your information, it appears that you and your husband could work together with an attorney to submit the proper forms and documents that will help you to apply for permanent resident status.

Please, consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Carlos E Sandoval

1

Answered . Attorney Eichorn is right. Moreover, in addition to the forms you need to present a series of civil and financial documents to prove your case. You should contact an immigration lawyer to ensure the package is complete.