I am on F-1 visa. My husband is a US citizen. I wish to apply for permanent residency through marriage. What forms are required?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rio Rancho, NM

My F-1 visa and I-20 are expiring in August. I would not like to be out of status. Do I need to apply for change of status? Are there any forms for people already in the United States?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The forms required are the I-130, I-485 and all collateral forms annotated on the instructions for these two forms. If you're married, you can file now. There is no reason to wait. You do not file for change of status. You file for adjustment of status using the aforementioned I-485. Please consider using counsel for this as protecting your status is also protecting your family unit.

  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

    Based on your information, it appears that you and your husband could work together with an attorney to submit the proper forms and documents that will help you to apply for permanent resident status.

    Please, consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Attorney Eichorn is right. Moreover, in addition to the forms you need to present a series of civil and financial documents to prove your case. You should contact an immigration lawyer to ensure the package is complete.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering