I am on diversion for domestic violence. I have not been able to complete my classes. what could happen?

i haven't been able to complete classes for domestic violence due to being a single mom, having two jobs, rent, tons of bills and no free time.

Denver, CO -

Attorney Answers (2)

Russell J Hebets

Russell J Hebets

Criminal Defense Attorney - Denver, CO

Not being able to complete diversion requirements could result in the diversion and your probation being revoked. In such a case it would be up to the judge to decide the appropriate sentence. Such a revocation would probably create a criminal record. You should be proactive and attempt to get an extension rather than just wait for the entire deal to come unraveled. If you have a probation officer it might be worth discussing if an extension would be available with them.

These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal... more
Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Parker, CO

Mr Hebets, as usual, is right on track. I understand that you have a lot on your plate with being a single parent and holding down two jobs. However, oftentimes the DA and/or probation do not care as they have heard every excuse in the world. The best thing to do is to try to get into compliance as best that you can. Whether it is getting help from friends or family, you have to put this as the priority. You do not want this as a conviction on your record. Good luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more

Related Topics

Misdemeanor crime

A misdemeanor is a lesser criminal charge, such as trespassing or disorderly conduct, that is punishable by less than one year in prison and/or a fine.

Featured Legal Guides

Criminal charges for domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.