I am on a student visa. If i get marry a girl with green card how long its gonna take me to get a green card??

Asked 9 months ago - Parsippany, NJ

Girl got green card for 2 years.. And i am on student visa for 4 years

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . If you marry her now, you might be able to file for adjustment of status in August, And be able to remain legal in the US with a work permit, as well as travel document, until such time as your priority date will become current again, should any retrogression occur after your filing. You can fall out of student status and will not need to pay those inflated foreign students tuition fees anymore as soon as you file for AOS in August. After one year, you will be considered an in district resident in the state and can pay normal tuition like all other US citizens and residents.

2. Eli Andrade

4

Answered . It will depend on when a visa number will become available.

3. Eric M. Mark

Pro

4

Answered . If you remain in status and marry a green card holder, you could adjust status immediately (within 4 months in NJ). However, you question raises a concern. If she has a two year green card that means she either got the green card through marriage to a US citizen within the last two year or is the daughter of someone who did. If she got hers through marriage, there will be major issues with proving the validity of both marriages. If you fall out of status, you would not be able to adjust status through a green card holder. Strongly consider consulting with an immigration lawyer.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

4

Answered . I would like to know how she got her green card as well as her immigration history in order to give you a reliable answer.

5. Steven Tanijo

Pro

5

Answered . It will depending on where you are from, but you can view the approximate wait times here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulle.... It will be faster when she becomes a US Citizen.

6. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . You should consult with an immigration lawyer in order to determine what options are available to you. As the spouse of an LPR, you would likely have to wait for a visa number to become available even though they are current as of August 2013. The reason is that those priority dates are not expected to remain current for very long. If you have to wait for a visa number, you would have to be in valid status in order to remain in the country while you wait. Also, there would be problems if your anticipated spouse obtained her I-551 ("green card") through marriage. Speak to a lawyer to iron out these issues.