I am on a P1 visa and it doesn't expire until 2016. if i apply for a greencard and it is denied will i still maintain P1 status?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

just wanted to know my options. would it be best to file 1 140 first n wait for approval before i file adj of status. or will filing concurrently mess up my p1 status if its denied.

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

3

Answered . A P-1 visa does have a requirement that you maintain a foreign residence you have no intention of abandoning. How petitioning for permanent residence will effect your ability to maintain P-1 status will depend on a number of different factors. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you what to expect and how best to proceed.

2. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

2

Answered . The P visa does not require a foreign residence. In most instances if you seek permanent resident status while on the P you should be able to maintain the non-immigrant status. You should work with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Maintaining status depends on whether you are continuing to do what you got the visa for and are not engaging in unauthorized employment.