Skip to main content

I am not sure what type of attorney I should hire to address my situation.

Columbus, OH |

I had a pacemaker implant, which created severe pains, and it is nine months, and I am unable to lift or move my hand. I had the pacemaker remove and placed on my right, but I am still experiencing pain. I have been through therapy, and the therapist stopped the treatment because the therapy was not helping. I don't know if the pacemaker was defective or a nerve was severed during surgery. I have seen several doctors, and they all say they cannot do anything to help since the problem is within the area where the pacemaker was placed. The orthopedic did state in the medical report, he thought it is nerve-related. It is going on six months, and I am unable to work,

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I think you need to find a products liability attorney that handles matters involving medical devices.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

  2. I urge you to seek a second opinion concerning the nature and source of your pain and other symptoms. It does not sound logical for those symptoms to be originating "within the area where the pacemaker was placed". What you are experiencing sounds like a nerve injury, which may be the result of direct trauma to the nerve (such as a laceration or crush injury), or it could be the result of indirect trauma, such as a stretch or compression injury. You should probably undergo nerve conduction studies, such as an EMG, to determine the nature and source of the problem. Until that is determined, it is not possible to provide legal advice as to whether you have a viable medical malpractice claim. I strongly doubt your problems are the result of the pacemaker being defective.

  3. I am not licensed in OH and can offer you only general advice. Usually a pacemaker is implanted through the femoral artery or an artery in your arm. Sounds like yours may have been inserted through your arm, and an injury to a nerve may be a risk of that procedure. You should look at the consent form that you signed prior to the procedure to see if that risk was something covered by the consent. You would need to show through expert testimony that the pacemaker was negligently inserted, and you did not experience a risk of the procedure. You also need to have a thorough understanding of what your injury is. You have not indicated what diagnostic studies were performed by the orthopedic which he relies on to determine that you have suffered a nerve related injury. You may need to seek additional evaluation to see what, if anything can be done to treat your pain. Often this type of evaluation will be useful to an attorney to determine whether your injury is causally related to the implantation. Seek medical evaluation and contact an attorney locally to evaluate your claim.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics