I am not on the mortgage and my soon to be exspouse wants to short sale. Am I responsible for taxes? We aren't divorced yet.

Naperville, IL |

I am not on the mortgage and have not lived in the house for one year. I stopped paying any portion of the mortgage about 6 months ago. Is there a form I can sign releasing me from any responsibility?

I assume you mean taxes resulting from any deficiency caused by the short sale and the resulting 1099-C forms that are sent to the IRS by the lender(s). If you are truly not on any of the notes secured by the property then it is not your debt. I assume you will not be filing a tax return jointly with your estranged spouse. Your spouse may be entitled to one of the IRS' several exceptions to owing taxes on the forgiven amounts as well. See IRS publication 4681
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p4681/ch01.html

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by giving this answer no attorney client relationship is intended or entered into and unless there is a signed fee agreement in place, neither myself nor anyone in my firm has intended to solicit clients nor do we represent them. The answers are general in nature and may be given without weighing or knowing all of the specifics of any particular question or situation. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, in a decision to act or not to act in pursuit of any potential claims or actions. You should always consult with and obtain the advice or representation of a licensed attorney in your state to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

Thank you for your quick response! So even though we bought the house while we were married, as long as I am not on the mortgage or any other notes held by the lender, I am not responsible for any repayment, taxes, or fees that might arise from a short sale?

Why are you asking on here and not discussing this with your divorce lawyer? You may not be liable to the third part lender but you are still liable for marital debt. The home I am presuming is marital so you are on the hook for debt associated with it and deficiencies. It is not just so simple as signing a paper. The divorce court has jurisdiction over you, your marital home, and the debt, and the court calls the shots and not you sir.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

I'm asking here because normally people are polite and prompt with their responses. I appreciate your input ma'am. I have also contacted my lawyer but have yet to here from them.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Keep trying to contact your attorney. Since the divorce isn't finished, there are ramifications that you should be able to handle easily.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

We are volunteer lawyers who also have regular practices but find time to lend a hand to help others, We have no information about your case though so you have to speak to your lawyer.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

There was nothing impolite about my response at all.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

I know on both counts

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Thanks Lee!

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

You're welcome Peggy

You could be. A short sale has to be handled carefully. Instead of getting tagged why not spend a little money on an attorney.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Saw one of your other comments and although I responded there, keep trying to call your attorney

Tax law topics