I am not a US citizen but I'm part-owner of a US-incorporated company. Can I migrate and live in the US for good?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

I live outside US and started a business with an American. I own part of a small company which has been incorporated in the US and 4 years in existence now, and I have a stock certificate to prove my ownership. Can I migrate and live in the US for good with this credential?

1. Pamela Koslyn

7

Answered . No, stock ownership in a US company doesn't entitle you to legally become a US citizen. You need to see an immigration lawyer.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

7

Answered . I agree with the two business lawyers, owning stock, a company, property, etc. doesn't automatically allow someone to 'migrate' to the US ... especially if the company is small.

Now, if you have $500,000, or better yet $1million to invest in a US company ... it can be done.

3. Nicklaus James Misiti

5

Answered . The answer is possibly. Speak to an immigration attorney. My firm handles investment based immigration in NY.
    Regards,
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

4. Hillary Johns

5

Answered . I concur with Ms. Koslyn. I'm Eastern European and I don't obtain dual citizenship (if hypothetically) I conducted business there. Consult with an immigration lawyer regarding your intentions.

You probably already knew this: the fact that you conduct business in the U.S. and it sounds like you derive an income from it could raise certain taxation and business issues. My suggestion would be to consult with a lawyer licensed in New York about conducting business on a regular basis in the US (and have your agreements in place as to your business).

Best of luck to you.