Skip to main content

I am not a US citizen but I'm part-owner of a US-incorporated company. Can I migrate and live in the US for good?

New York, NY |

I live outside US and started a business with an American. I own part of a small company which has been incorporated in the US and 4 years in existence now, and I have a stock certificate to prove my ownership. Can I migrate and live in the US for good with this credential?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, stock ownership in a US company doesn't entitle you to legally become a US citizen. You need to see an immigration lawyer.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


I concur with Ms. Koslyn. I'm Eastern European and I don't obtain dual citizenship (if hypothetically) I conducted business there. Consult with an immigration lawyer regarding your intentions.

You probably already knew this: the fact that you conduct business in the U.S. and it sounds like you derive an income from it could raise certain taxation and business issues. My suggestion would be to consult with a lawyer licensed in New York about conducting business on a regular basis in the US (and have your agreements in place as to your business).

Best of luck to you.


I agree with the two business lawyers, owning stock, a company, property, etc. doesn't automatically allow someone to 'migrate' to the US ... especially if the company is small.

Now, if you have $500,000, or better yet $1million to invest in a US company ... it can be done.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


The answer is possibly. Speak to an immigration attorney. My firm handles investment based immigration in NY.
Nick Misiti
Misiti Global
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer