I am not a felon and own guns. Can a felon live with me if I keep the guns locked in a safe?

Asked over 1 year ago - 54970

I own a couple handguns and a couple rifles. Me and a friend of mine who is a felon are looking for a house to rent. I was wondering if there would be any legal issues with me keeping the guns in a locked safe with him living in the same house if he had no access to them. Also would there be any legal issues with me shooting the guns on the property (target shooting and hunting) if he was not home at the time? If this would be an issue but me just having the guns isn't I would find somewhere else to shoot.

1. Mark P. Maciolek

4

1

Answered . I disagree. The broadest definition of possession is probably the federal definition. If your friend can control the guns, then he's in possession of them. For example, if I have my friend hold onto a gun for me across town, I am still controlling it, even if I can't touch it. That's possession. But just being in the vicinity of a gun is not possessing it.
    If you keep the guns locked up in the safe, and your friend can't access them or tell you what to do with them, there's no problem.
    It is true that you friend takes a risk by living in a residence where there are firearms. If he is actually on probation or supervision, you may want to get the arrangement cleared with the probation agent before moving in together.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . If the felon is in the same residence where there are guns he is deemed to be in possession and can be arrested and convicted.