I am married to a us citizen, and i have my green card. I would like to bring my 8 year old son to the U.S.. from Indonesia

Asked over 2 years ago - Burbank, CA

i am the mother of the child and i am going to indonesia july 16 thru august 24, and would like to bring my son back with me. I will be able to get his passport when I am over there, but i need to know what other things he needs to travel back with me

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

24

Answered . You husband needs to sponsor him for a green card.

2. J Charles Ferrari

9

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You will not be able to bring your son until the petition has been processed and transferred to the Embassy in Indonesia.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

3. Shokry G Abdelsayed

10

Answered . I agree, your US citizen husband needs to file for your son.

4. Elaine Yi Ming Cheung

9

Answered . Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, if the marriage between the step-parent and biological parent occurs before the child's 18th birthday, the step-parent may petition for the child just like a natural child. Start to finish, it may take 8 months to 1 year before your child enters the US. It will be quicker for your spouse to petition for your child than for you to do so (assuming that you're a legal resident and not a US citizen). Good luck!

5. Karen-Lee Pollak

8

Answered . Your husband can sponsor him for a green card