I am married to a us citizen, and i have my green card. I would like to bring my 8 year old son to the U.S.. from Indonesia

Burbank, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

i am the mother of the child and i am going to indonesia july 16 thru august 24, and would like to bring my son back with me. I will be able to get his passport when I am over there, but i need to know what other things he needs to travel back with me

1. You husband needs to sponsor him for a green card.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I agree, your US citizen husband needs to file for your son.

Contact Shokry G. Abdelsayed, Esq. at 201-471-7989, NY and NJ. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form an attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

3. Your husband can sponsor him for a green card

4. I agree with my colleagues. You will not be able to bring your son until the petition has been processed and transferred to the Embassy in Indonesia.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

5. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, if the marriage between the step-parent and biological parent occurs before the child's 18th birthday, the step-parent may petition for the child just like a natural child. Start to finish, it may take 8 months to 1 year before your child enters the US. It will be quicker for your spouse to petition for your child than for you to do so (assuming that you're a legal resident and not a US citizen). Good luck!