I am looking to satisfy an eviction balance on my credit report. How do I approach getting it removed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Goodyear, AZ

When I looked at my credit report I have a judgement amount of $714. On the credit report it shows I also owe the apartment $5600. I am not sure how to proceed. Do I need to pay the judgement or the amount that the apartment claims I owe to satisfy the eviction?

1. James Portman Webster

Pro

Answered . I am not trying to sound silly, but pay the debt first.

The next obvious question, which is what you are asking, which amount?

I would call the complex management company and ask them how much they need to satisfy the debt. You may be able to negotiate a deal with them for less. This will harm your credit so you have balance the benefits with the negatives.

Once satisfied, they are supposed to file a satisfaction with the court.

Once you get this document, challenge both on your credit with the satisfaction of judgment.

As a side note, I know nothing about your situation, but what you are describing sounds like two separate debts. It is hard to turn $714 in $5600 on a default judgment. Attorney fees on cases like that are no more than $500.

If the judgment is more than five years old - it has expired as well.

Jim Webster
    Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa & Phoenix Arizona Bankruptcy Attorneys & Lawyers

1845 S. Dobson Rd. Ste 201
    Mesa, AZ 85202

(480) 464-4667
    Jim@jpwlegal.com

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

2. William W. Fife III

Answered . Arizona allows a landlord to pursue contractual damages after the eviction. So the eviction judgment likely is for rent, late fees, and eviction costs. The remaining amount may be amounts you owe per other provisions of the lease agreement you breached. As mentioned before you should talk to the property management to get a clarification.

3. Michael Christopher Burr

Pro

Answered . Sounds like you have 2 things to address. You should start dealing with the apartment. If they got a judgment for $714, they should not saying you still owe $5,600. You should make them an offer, or at least find out why there are 2 different amounts, but also negotiate what is listed by them on your credit report. Once you pay an agreed amount, the credit report should then show it as a satisfied debt. If the court is listing a different amount, such as maybe the lawsuit was filed alleging you owe $5,600 but the final judgment was just $714, then some court records might need to be fixed. They would generally be fixed by the landlord once the judgment is settled.