Skip to main content

I am looking to satisfy an eviction balance on my credit report. How do I approach getting it removed?

Goodyear, AZ |

When I looked at my credit report I have a judgement amount of $714. On the credit report it shows I also owe the apartment $5600. I am not sure how to proceed. Do I need to pay the judgement or the amount that the apartment claims I owe to satisfy the eviction?

Attorney Answers 3


Sounds like you have 2 things to address. You should start dealing with the apartment. If they got a judgment for $714, they should not saying you still owe $5,600. You should make them an offer, or at least find out why there are 2 different amounts, but also negotiate what is listed by them on your credit report. Once you pay an agreed amount, the credit report should then show it as a satisfied debt. If the court is listing a different amount, such as maybe the lawsuit was filed alleging you owe $5,600 but the final judgment was just $714, then some court records might need to be fixed. They would generally be fixed by the landlord once the judgment is settled.

Mark as helpful


I am not trying to sound silly, but pay the debt first.

The next obvious question, which is what you are asking, which amount?

I would call the complex management company and ask them how much they need to satisfy the debt. You may be able to negotiate a deal with them for less. This will harm your credit so you have balance the benefits with the negatives.

Once satisfied, they are supposed to file a satisfaction with the court.

Once you get this document, challenge both on your credit with the satisfaction of judgment.

As a side note, I know nothing about your situation, but what you are describing sounds like two separate debts. It is hard to turn $714 in $5600 on a default judgment. Attorney fees on cases like that are no more than $500.

If the judgment is more than five years old - it has expired as well.

Good luck.

Jim Webster
Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa & Phoenix Arizona Bankruptcy Attorneys & Lawyers

1845 S. Dobson Rd. Ste 201
Mesa, AZ 85202

(480) 464-4667

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

If you live in Arizona, please contact me for actual advice; this is just speculation. It certainly is not legal advice. I don't have enough information to give actual legal advice. I can only take the limited information presented and provide a idea of what you might do and how it may turn out.

Mark as helpful


Arizona allows a landlord to pursue contractual damages after the eviction. So the eviction judgment likely is for rent, late fees, and eviction costs. The remaining amount may be amounts you owe per other provisions of the lease agreement you breached. As mentioned before you should talk to the property management to get a clarification.

William Fife is an Attorney with Fife & Cesta, a compassionate firm conveniently located off the US 60 in Mesa, Arizona. The answers given here are based on the information in the question; for a complete answer you should have a consultation with an attorney you trust. Call now for a free bankruptcy consultation. We carefully evaluate your situation and give you real advice.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics