Skip to main content

I am looking to engage an attorney for a wrongful death suit.

Saint Louis, MO |
Filed under: Wrongful death

Our daughter passed away quite unexpectedly after being taken to a major hospital ER in Chicago, IL. I am wondering if We would be better off using a Chicago attorney w expertise in this practice area or a local Chicago attorney that is an expert in this area and then they have a relationship w a Chicago law firm .As I understand the Chicago lawyer would be counsel and my attorney as co counsel. ( my attorney is not licensed in Illinois).?Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Consult in person with one or two of Chicago's malpractice/injury/wrongful death attorneys, and let him or her assist you with the co-counsel question.

  2. Question is a bit confusing. If you trust your attorney you can get his advice, but you should meet with and feel comfortable with the attorney who will be handling it directly. I am sorry for your loss.

    The contents of this post do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any comments made in this post are general in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and law of your case.

  3. The other attorneys are correct in emphasizing that you will want to meet with and develop a level of trust with a Chicago attorney. This cannot be stressed enough. Condolences and good luck.

  4. You are in luck. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool

  5. It sounds as if you are from outside the Chicago area. Developing a personal relationship with your attorney is important; and it is helpful that the attorney get to know you and your family personally, in my opinion. However, it is many times advantageous to have a local, experienced attorney to assist, one whom you can call on without worry about long distance and with whom you can communicate easily and quickly. You need not get a "Chicago attorney" at all, though. A good one licensed in Illinois is what you are looking for. Chicago is not the only place to find a great lawyer in Illinois.

  6. I would contact an experienced malpractice attorney in the Chicago area. Avvo has an excellent find a lawyer tab, but if you wish to call, I know several outstanding attorneys who's name's I would be happy to give you. I am so sorry for your loss, and hope that you at least get some answers as to what happened.

  7. Your best approach is to hire a medical malpractice attorney in the area where the case in going to be filed.

  8. I would find the best possible, AV rated, Chicago attorney who specializes in medical malpractice.

    Every case is different and it is nearly impossible to give advice on settlement ranges without more information.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics