I am looking to create a business page on Facebook for dentists in Los Angeles

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am looking to create a business page on Facebook for dentists in Los Angeles. The purpose of this page will be educational in nature. By that there would be posts about teeth whitening, braces, flossing, tooth decay etc... I am not a dentist by profession. On the website and on Facebook I would have a disclaimer saying that I am not a dentist nor am I affiliated with a professional organization. This business Facebook page would be linked to another website that I have which also educates about dentistry. The concept around this idea is build a following on Facebook to drive traffic to my website. Then solicit advertising from dentists in the local area. I would give them a plaque that they can put in their office saying that they are featured on Los Angeles Dentist page. legal issues?

1. Pamela Koslyn

9

Answered . I've answered this same question about 5 times in the past few months. Try doing a search on this site for dentist sites. And then see a business lawyer to discuss, copyright, trademark, domain name, FTC restrictions and false advertising, disclaimer, disclosure, entity formation, etc.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

7

Answered . That's funny, giving plaque to dentists.

Yes, lots of business issues, including: what business attorney to see to tell you the issues. What business structure you need. What business name and how to clear and protect it (you proposed a generic term); What disclaimers you need and how to effectively make them; what IP lawyer to use; what licenses you need and from whom and by when; copyright infringement issues for the content you will use; trademark issues.

The business issues are even more daunting, as few dentists will choose to advertise in that way, since it's totally meaningless and no indication of credentials or quality at all. Seems equivalent, but less meaningful, than a dentist advertising "featured in the yellow pages" or "featured in the LA Times classified section."

Good Luck. I think you will need lots of determination to have a chance to make anything from this business model.Getting a solid legal foundation would be a good start.

3. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

4

Answered . As noted, you will have several legal considerations. Some of these attend all businesses (entity formation, trademark/domain, copyright, terms of use/service and privacy policies, among others).

If you are asking whether your business modsel posses any issues it is hard to say. Obviously, you cannot offer specifc dental/medical advice as you are not a licensed dentist. But a content driven format that offers general info is not on its fact a problem. A lot will depend on how it is all presented.

It is probably a good idea to discuss your objectives over with a lawyer in more detail. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . Are You Planning on Opening a New E-Commerce Website?

There is much you need to know as you begin your new business.

Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

1. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?
    2. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.
    3. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!
    4. FTC guidlines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidlines apply to e-commerce sites.
    5. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?
    6. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?
    7. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using? Do you have a DMCA notice on your web site?
    8. Do you need a DMCA policy?
    9. Web Site security issues?
    10. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.
    11. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.
    12. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

You may want to discuss your issues with a lawyer in more detail. Most of us here on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consult.
    __________________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us