I am looking into possibly opening a resale dress shop. I have questions regarding the inventory I would like to carry.

Asked over 1 year ago - Burton, MI

I have shopped the resale stores in my area and have seen several pieces with the original price tags attached. They are still sold at a discounted price. I would be looking on Craigslist, at garage sales and mall "end of season" sales for my store inventory. I have also found some wholesale new dresses on different websites that I am interested in. Can I legally purchase my inventory like this for my resale dress shop?

1. John F. Brennan

4

1

Answered . Yes, it is legal for you to procure the inventory for your store in the stated any of the manners you propose. You should be careful not to stock or sell any "knock-offs", they will get you in more trouble that they are worth. You should create a business plan, incorporate or form an LLC to limit, to the extent possible your personal liability. I would most strongly suggest you engage an attorney and accountant to assist you in the formation of your business plan and getting all of the systems in place. I wish you the best and would be delighted to serve you should you chose.

2. Mohammad Ahmed Faruqui

4

Answered . Definitely legal to sell products you buy from retail outlets but not necessarily profitable. Be careful with counterfeit products though because you could be liable to both a civil plaintiff for damages and a government entity for fines.

3. Reese Serra

1

Answered . Yes, it is legal. Good luck and if you would like assistance forming your business, I am available for a fee. - Reese Serra