I am looking into possibly opening a resale dress shop. I have questions regarding the inventory I would like to carry.

Burton, MI |

I have shopped the resale stores in my area and have seen several pieces with the original price tags attached. They are still sold at a discounted price. I would be looking on Craigslist, at garage sales and mall "end of season" sales for my store inventory. I have also found some wholesale new dresses on different websites that I am interested in. Can I legally purchase my inventory like this for my resale dress shop?

Yes, it is legal for you to procure the inventory for your store in the stated any of the manners you propose. You should be careful not to stock or sell any "knock-offs", they will get you in more trouble that they are worth. You should create a business plan, incorporate or form an LLC to limit, to the extent possible your personal liability. I would most strongly suggest you engage an attorney and accountant to assist you in the formation of your business plan and getting all of the systems in place. I wish you the best and would be delighted to serve you should you chose.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Definitely legal to sell products you buy from retail outlets but not necessarily profitable. Be careful with counterfeit products though because you could be liable to both a civil plaintiff for damages and a government entity for fines.

No attorney-client relationship implied or accepted without a signed fee agreement. This response is theoretical only and for purposes of discussion. Attorney is not liable for any opinion expressed herein. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon any single source of information, including advertising on any Web sites or answers to questions posed on Avvo.com. You may ask us to send you additional information about us, and we urge you to review other sources of information about our primary practice areas.

Yes, it is legal. Good luck and if you would like assistance forming your business, I am available for a fee. - Reese Serra

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additional, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756

Business topics