Skip to main content

I am looking for information about getting deposit back.

Oroville, CA |

I am looking for the law that states that if my landlord goes through foreclosure in California. That if the old landlord don't pay me my deposit back. Does the new landlord have to pay me my deposit? Please give me the law to refer too.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should review Civil Code section 1950.5, specifically subsections (e), (h), and (j). The answers to your question are detailed in those sections (e.g. the landlord's successors in interest are jointly and severally liable with the landlord for repayment of the security, or that portion to which the tenant is entitled).

The information provided herein (i.e. answers and/or recommendations to questions posted on this forum) is for general purposes only. The posting of this information by G. Michael Brelje, Esq. and the viewing of any posted information is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and should not be construed as legal advice. If the viewer desires specific legal advice then the viewer is advised to consult with a lawyer in the appropriate jurisdiction and share the specific facts, supporting documents and evidence unique to viewer’s situation.

Randy C. Schustal

Randy C. Schustal


similar to ny as well


Did you contract with the new landlord?

I am licensed attorney who focuses on Serious DUI Cases such a 2nd DUIs, 3rd DUIs, 4th DUIs, and Felony DUIs and DMV hearings. I also have much experience handling car accident cases. Although the information I provide is helpful, it is not legal advice. Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information.



It was the new landlord that informed my friend that he does NOT have a deposit with the new landlord


talk with the new landlord and discuss with them.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer