Skip to main content


Miami, FL |


Attorney Answers 6

  1. Try the public defender. Many of them are more experienced than you'd think.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. This answer does not, nor is it intended to constitute legal advice. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique. It is critical that you consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

  2. Public Defender. That's what they are for; for people that cannot afford an attorney.

  3. If this is involving a child that your friend is the biological father or mother of, you need a family law attorney. This is usually not "kidnapping" and results in custody proceedings in Family Court rather than kidnapping. If he or she is low income, they can often get assigned counsel to represent them for free, and there are other options, like Legal Aid Societies in many places, especially if avoiding domestic violence is part of the kidnapping issue.

    If the child is unrelated, yes, these serious charges could be criminal and I agree with other counsel that a PD will be assigned if your friend is facing serious charges.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  4. I am unsure from you post. Is a person charged with a CRIMINAL felony charge of kidnapping? Or are you referring to a FAMILY COURT case involving custody issues? Who/what is the Non-Profit you are referring to? If criminal, the defendant needs to ask the judge to appoint him a Public Defender at the next court date if he cannot afford private counsel, and if he qualifies.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  5. I can't imagine any attorney doing a case this serious pro bono. If you cannot afford a private attorney you may qualify for a public defender depending on your financial circumstances

    An attorney/client relationship is NOT established simply by virtue of The Law Offices of Evan M. Kleiman, P.A. answering any questions herein. Such a relationship will only be established by a formal agreement between the parties.

  6. Sadly, charges as serious as these usually will not be handled by attorneys on a pro bono basis.. I think I it would greatly depend on the facts of your friend's case. Regardless, I would definitely suggest trying first the services of the public defender.

    Disclaimer: My reply does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics