I am looking for an attorney to help me fight an invasion of privacy and invasion of hippa laws while I was in the hospital

Asked 5 months ago - Colorado Springs, CO

The doctor was screaming at me from the hallway with several people passing by as he was asking me personal questions for my health history because he didn't want to put a robe and mask on to come into my room, he continued to talk and laugh with nurses about my case in front of some of my friends passing by and so other people in the hall could also hear. When I got out of the hospital he kept calling me to apologize about the invasion of privacy because he got in trouble with the hospital. I was very sick and he made things much more difficult than they needed to be.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

2

Answered . There is no private cause of action under HIPAA for a violation. Basically, the government reprimands and penalizes them for a violation. So, a lawsuit would be fruitless in getting you money. Definitely report it to the hospital administrators

2. Tara Candela RN

1

Answered . I am sorry you experienced such a lack of professionalism. HIPAA, however, does not have a private cause of action. You can file a complaint with the hospital, with the federal government, and with your state attorney general. If the state attorney general feels like your case is worth pursuing, they may be able to collect an award for you, but it would likely be as little as $100. States sometimes have privacy laws, but most often you have to suffer some type of financial damage to pursue a claim. Consult a CO health attorney for detailed information.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Nothing to fight. No attorney required. No apparent economic damages generally means no case.

If you still desire an attorney, try the Avvo ' find a lawyer ' tab to locate attorneys near you.