I am looking for a lawyer willing to represent me on a contingency basis. charges are Title VII/EPA

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fresno, CA

I do NOT believe the events that occured were a technical error after working for the employer for 14 months. sense i challeged my employer they are now trying to resovle the issues, but they are not doing it in good faith.

1. Neil Pedersen

1

Answered . This Q&A portion of AVVO is not the place to look for an attorney. Go to the Find a Lawyer part of the site for that.

I would note that you should not focus on Title VII as your remedy. In California, the great majority of employees can proceed under the Fair Employment and Housing Act for the same issues protected under the federal Title VII and the remedies and procedures under FEHA are far more favorable for the employee in almost every respect. Do not go to the EEOC to file a complaint before you speak with an employment attorney. Most will strongly recommend you go to the DFEH and avoid the EEOC, again because under the state law and procedures, you are far better off.

Good luck to you.

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

Answered . In addition to looking for representation on Avvo, to find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area.

If you are having trouble finding an attorney for your case, there are several possibilities:

-- you are not looking in the right place for the right kind of attorney;
    -- your case does not have as much value as you think; or
    -- you are not presenting your case in a way that makes sense to the attorneys.

Employment attorneys want certain information right up front: the name of the defendant, the name of the employee; if the employee was fired (or denied reasonable accommodation, or laid off, or whatever the issue is, in five words or less); the date this happened; the reason the employer gave for whatever happened; how long the employee worked for the defendant; what job the employee did; how much the employee made; and any deadline.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.