I am looking at 240 days in LA County jail. Is there a way to estimate how much of that "time" I will really have to do.

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

This was for a 3rd DUI. I had my other two 8 years ago, however that matters not under California statute. My lawyer is attempting to work it down o the state minimum of 120 days. Just trying to get some insight.
Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Nicholas Milan Loncar


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Because the sentence is 240, you're likely to do more time than the examples Mr. Zarabi cited. Up until 90 days, it's usually just a day or two. my best guess would be that you will do between 5 and 45 days. If your lawyer is able to get down to the 120 min, it'll be less.

  2. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No way to be sure... I had a client go in on Thursday for Grand Theft for 30 days and was released on Friday night, had another client go in on Thursday for 60 days for a second time DUI within 2 weeks, and was also released on Friday night... Not much...

    Elliot Zarabi www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I... more
  3. Michael Kevin Cernyar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ask your attorney. Your attorney will know.

    (800) 409-7010

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice... more
  4. Benjamin A. Williams

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your offense is not either 1) a serious or 2) violent crime then you should be entitled to Penal Code 4019 credits, often referred to as "good time" credit. 4019 gives two days credit for every one day served. Behave in custody and you should be out after 120 days.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now