I am loaning money to a family member secured by their home. I want to charge interest, something around 10%. I am loaning the

money to my LLC, and then the LLC is going to lend the money to my family member the homeowner, owner occupied residence. It will be a Second position loan on their house. The law is confusing but my understanding is that usury law would not apply since it is a direct loan (no middleman) secured by the home. I would like to charge a fee up front also, 5% of the loan amount. Anything illegal here?

Your assumption is incorrect. Loans between private parties are limited by CA usury laws. The maximum rate is 10% per annum. If you want more interest, you would need the loan to be brokered by a real estate broker.

I urge you to: 1) open a loan escrow; 2) obtain a title policy insuring your interest; 3) conduct due diligence regarding the security of your investment and the ability of the family member to repay the loan.

Loans secured by 2nd deeds of trust are VERY risky. Should the 1st foreclose, your security will be entirely wiped out. Unless you have sufficient financial resources to protect your investment in the event of default on the 1st, and are a sophisticated investor (which it appears you are not), I would not make the loan if you expect to be paid back. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Follow Mr. Daymude's advice. It is right on.

Usury laws generally not apply to 'regular' financial institutions.

Consult a lawyer before you do anything. Avvo advice is not enough!!!

Adam Jaffe Law Office of Adam Jay Jaffe 124 Lomas Santa Fe Dr, #204 Solana Beach, CA 92075 (619) 810-7964 www.smallclaimsappeals.com Adam@AdamJayJaffe.com This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different states.