Skip to main content

I am living in the US on an H - 1B visa and my son is almost 21 . He has an H - 4 in the USA but studies in Canada .

Pleasanton, CA |

He is on an H - 4 and he is studying in Canada . He will be age 21 before he finished school . What visa should he get in order to visit ? Will he be able to visit on the H - B visa , also , when I receive a green card , how can I add him when he is over the age of 21 ?

Attorney Answers 4



when I receive a green card , how can I add him when he is over the age of 21 ?
Most likely, you will need to petition him.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful


You need to seek assistance of an immigration attorney.

Raja S. Gill | Attorney At Law | Gill Law Group | T: (855) 600-4567 | T: (949) 333-0891 | F: (949) 625-4816 Disclaimer: Answers/information provided on this site general nature for information and educational purposes only. The answer may or may not apply to the facts of your case. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions or in any way relying on this information.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleagues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Mark as helpful

9 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Technically he is not on H-4 if he is not in the U.S. He can visit you on B-2, study on F-1 or seek H-1B through a qualifying employer. Consult a competent immigration attorney to discuss his options.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics