I am just wondering if a unpaid lawyer and a paid lawyer will do the same exact things to win a case?

Spokane, WA |

We have been told that we can get a probono attorney because of our income. But Im not sure the attorney will do the same kind of work as a paid attorney? I need to get custody of my sons unborn child. my son is 16 and lives at home. The girl who is pregnant is 18 she has a lot of mental issues and has fetal alcohol syndrome. She is not even able to take care of her self. She was living with a father in montana and one day he decided he didnt want her and just dropped her off at the bus station to go to her mother's. He also raped her when she was 14 rs old. Her mother abandoned her and left her in her brother without anything for over a year they were removed by cps. She has lived in 4 different places since she has become pregnant and is now living with a abusive boyfriend. She graduates

1. Pro Bono attorneys (possible from Legal Aide) have the same ethical obligations as "paid" attorneys. Because they are volunteers, they are committed to the judicial system and their clients - - - and often do a more thorough job than "paid" attorneys. Just make sure that whichever attorney you get has done this type of work before and is familiar with the procedures to follow. Good luck!

2. Both paid and pro bono lawyers are held to the same code of ethics and legal responsability to their clients .

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. I agree with the prior answer that all attorneys have the same ethical obligations. Ethical obligations are, however, a minimum performance standard. You should expect more than a minimum from any attorney. You should recognize that no two attorneys will do exactly the same job. Attorneys are people, not robots, and no two are the same whether they are paid or not. There is a difference in the quality of attorneys. There is a difference in the style of every attorney. Practicing law, especially in family court, is as much art as it is science. The answer to your question is that it depends on the attorney. Many pro bono attorneys will do an excellent job. Many paid attorneys will do an excellent job. In my experience in life, if you want the best chance at the best quality service, you will have to pay for it. But you should expect good services from any attorney.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended to be a general statement of legal principles only. It should not be relied upon for any specific action. Please seek the advice of a qualified local attorney to review your specific case.