I am involved in a union. My B.A. is not calling me fore a job, but giving all others the work. My dues are paid up to date,

Asked 5 months ago - Lincoln, NH

I feel like I am being discriminated. My union card has not even been sent back to me. I have a receipt showing proof I have paid my dues. What can be done with this? My unemployment has come to an end due to benefits running out.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

Answered . It sounds like you work out of a hiring hall. Ask for a copy of the work assignment procedures. These might be in the by-laws or another document. And talk to your BA and ask why you are treated differently.

Most unions try to do the right thing and obtain justice. Sometimes “justice” does not help an individual employee. One reason is that unions have their primary obligation to the entire group of job classifications the union represents; that group is called the “bargaining unit.” Unions have the right to decide whether to pursue a case or not.

Most local unions have limited money and staff resources so they must pick and choose which cases to pursue. Unions have to balance the need for more money (to hire more union reps or to take more cases to arbitration, for example) with the bargaining unit’s resistance to higher dues. This is similar to elected officials who must always balance constituents’ wishes with the need to raise taxes.

Some union reps are highly effective; others are incompetent, just as some attorneys and politicians are incompetent. Many local labor unions are run by volunteers. Many union representatives are full-time employees of the employer so do much of their union work on their own time, especially evenings and weekends. Only some unions have enough money to reimburse their reps for missed work hours, such as when handling a grievance. Only some unions have the strength to negotiate “lost time” with the employer, where the employer has to pay the rep’s wages when the rep is handling grievances; this time is usually limited to a low number of hours.

Nearly all elected and appointed union officers start out as rank-and-file workers. They may be elected due to work competence, seniority, intelligence, charm, good looks, having a big mouth, blustering, oratory skills, etc. – just like politicians. There is a range of skills and a range of experience among them. Most unions provide some training for officers and stewards, but others don’t have the resources to do so. The quantity and quality of training can vary widely.

(continued in Comment below)

2. James Edwin Jackson

Pro

Answered . Talk to your BA. If you don't get a reasonable response, call the NLRB.