I am involved in a personal injury lawsuit against the city of new york what does it mean action stayed and in comments per stip

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

what does that mean

does it mean the city of new york has claimed bankruptcy if so what happens next

1. Craig A. Post

4

Answered . As indicated in Mr. Weitz' response, there maybe several reasons why the case is stayed. You should sit down with your attorney to discuss the particulars of your case.

2. Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Pro

2

Answered . It means all activity in the case is stopped due to some triggering event. The most common triggers are bankruptcy of one of the parties or death of a party. In those cases, the case will be stayed until a bankruptcy trustee is appointed or in case of death until letters of administration are issued to an administrator or letters testamentary are issued to an executor. Once a bankruptcy trustee is appointed, the law firm in the stayed action must make an application to the trustee to be appointed as special counsel to the estate; then the special counsel may make a motion to lift the stay or the stay may be lifted by stipulation. If letters issue to an executor or an administrator, the estate must retain counsel, usually that counsel is the same as it was before the death. The stay may then be lifted by motion or stipulation. While the case is stayed there can be no activity.

Pro

3

Answered . Things on hold for whatever reason.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . I couldn't speculate as to the cause because you provide no facts or context. While the stay is in place nothing can be done on the case, but you could ask your attorney the reason as you indicate it might have been by stipulation (agreement).

5. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . It means things are on hold. What caused the hold, no one can say

Stip is usually short for Stipulation. Need more detail

6. Albert Lee Crosner

2

Answered . I think you need to ask the question of your attorney as he/she is closer to what the case is and what is occurring. Generally, when stayed, a case is suspended for a period of time to await some action. Per stip means by stipulation (agreement between parties).