I am involved in a child visitation case and I am considering going Pro Se. What are really the pros and cons?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hackensack, NJ

I have been in Family Court for the last 2 years and I am almost broke. It seems justice is not blind but firmly weighed in on the wife's side -- no matter how unreasonable she may be.

In court, I have yet to hear one reference to case law. I assume there is something to family law other than the counsels arguing in a most civil and protracted manner -- but I am not convinced.

I've heard you can both speak your mind as well as garner the Judge's empathy if you represent yourself. What do Dads without money do? Do they just lose their kids or do Judges protect their rights?

Do Poor Dads always go Pro Se?

1. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

2

1

Answered . Both husband and wife can be pro se. However, you are more likely to be better served by having an attorney represent you. I do not know the facts of your case so I can't tell you why things are not going your way. Before you go pro se, speak to your current attorney and/or speak to a new attorney to get a better handle on your case.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . http://triblocal.com/orland-park/community/stor...

#BrinkLaw

3. Kathryn Ann Gilbert

Answered . You can always go Pro Se but if your spouse has an attorney you will probably be outmatched so it would not be advisable. When there is a disputed custody matter the Parties are first sent to mediation. Maybe you could resolve your dispute with the Court ordered mediation.

4. Carrie Susan Schultz

Pro

Answered . As much as all of us would like to answer your question online, all family law cases, and especially custody, are very fact specific. I would be doing you a disservice if I even attempted to answer your question without obtaining more of the background history, substantive facts involved, and the procedural history thus far in Court. I am happy to sit down with you and go through all of this and give you advice. If you are interested, please feel free to contact my office to schedule an appointment. (201) 880-9770. Thank you!