I am international student going to the U.S. for graduate studies. Will I be referred to secondary inspection or denied entry?

Asked 9 months ago - Edwardsville, IL

I was an exchange student in 2011-2012 academic year. I left the U.S. for winter break and I came back to U.S. in January 2012 for spring semester. I successfully completed my program, and a year later I decided to continue my studies and get a Master's degree. When I applied for F1 visa the Visa Officer sent me to admin. processing because he found some mistake in my previous SEVIS record. I got my F1 visa eventually, but now I am worried that I might get in trouble at U.S. border. as I understand, currently all international students face increased scrutiny at U.S. POEs after Boston incident. Will I face problems despite that I obtained new visa and the consul confirmed my admissibility? I never violated my student status, when I traveled I got necessary validation.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . I don't see any reason why you would have problems entering the US.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

6

Best Answer

Answered . Since you were cleared for a second F-1 visa by the U.S. Consular Officer and were issued a valid F-1 visa you met all the requirements and were approved. Therefore, you should not come under a close scrutiny at the POE UNLESS you create additional level of concern like travelling with a pressure cooker to the United States or something that may create a legitimate reason to investigate.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

6

1

Answered . This appears to be more of an immigration question. I have changed your practice area to attract the immigration attorneys for more answers.

4. Mary Kathleen Neal

5

Answered . If you got your F1 and you have a valid passport, school paperwork, etc, then I do not see why you would have any problem from Customs and Border Protection.

However, if there are other possible immigration issues that you did not mention here, you might be in for enhanced scrutiny. Other circumstances that could lead to enhanced scrutiny include: international events that lead to heightened scrutiny to all visitors, or to visitors form your country; having a name similar to some terrorist or international criminal; being on a flight that gets picked for enhanced scrutiny due to something entirely unrelated to you, and the list goes on....

5. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

5

Answered . Most likely you should be fine.