I am in the Metairie area and I am trying to find out what type of lawyer do I talk to about financial aid and student loans?

Metairie, LA |

I get a different amount number every time I go and the lady that fixed my packaging no longer works for the school and I'm getting the run around about my tuition breakdown and financial aid and student loans.

1. Its not clear what exactly you need an attorney to help with. If its just that you need to get clarification as to what aid and loans you've received you should keep trying to get answers from the financial aid office.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

2. It is unclear if you are still in school and applying for loans or if you have questions about existing loans. If you are inquiring about loans, I would go to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. web site to research.
    If you want info about existing loans, I would start by downloading a transcript of your student loan portfolio at the NSLDS web site. That will tell you how much you owe on student loans issued or guaranteed by the federal government. If you have private student loans, you can check your credit reports.
    Once your loans come due, there are a number of programs out there which can reduce your monthly payment (from the default payment schedule) and/or forgive some of your loans.