I am in the hospital can I still be sentenced

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

The charge is grand thief auto, I gave birth yesterday and my attorney said that if I am not in court in the morning that the judge will sentence me and that I won't get probation. This is a first offense.

1. Martin Evan Weinberg

Answered . Your attorney should be able to ask for a continuance under these circumstances.. This is something that your attorney needs to handle.

2. Michael R Crosner

Answered . You have a perfectly valid reason by you can not be in court (you should have your doctor document that you are unable to attend court) - Unless you have missed other court dates etc. it would seem from the facts presented that your attorney should be able to explain to the court the reason for a continuance. I am not trying to second guess your attorney merely making a observation & suggestion. I am not licensed in AL & perhaps my lack of knowledge of their laws & court procedures is the reason for my statements. You need to immediately consult with your attorney. Good luck & congratulations on the birth of your baby.