I am in the Carls Karcher wage and hour case but i can not do nothing to fight my unpaid breaks with the labor commission why?

Asked 11 months ago - Long Beach, CA

i was supposed to receive some letters telling me some detail info about this case and i never got it. some people (5) is suing carls jr for almost 1.5 million and i am suing for almost 13 thousand with the labor commission but they told me since i never returned this form it automatically makes me part of this action.and if i am part of the action the labor commission does not procede to my case i need to know what is the best for my pocket.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to read the notices you have received pertaining to the class action lawsuit you are referring to. We know nothing about the case or what you were required to do. I can only guess you were required to opt out of the case by a certain date if you wanted to pursue an individual claim and failed to do so. But my guess means nothing since I'm not privy to this particular case.

    You should either ask the deputy Labor Commissioner why the DLSE has no jurisdiction over your claim or contact the lawyers who are handling the class action and see if it is too late to opt out of the class.

    They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion... more
  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The basic proposition you are dealing with is that you cannot proceed in two separate venues to complain about the same legal wrong. You cannot be a member of the class action seeking adjudication of your wage and hour issues and also ask the DLSE to determine the issue.

    At some point you have been or will be asked to opt in or out of the class action. Once you opt in, or fail to timely opt out, you will be stuck with proceeding with the class action. Furthermore, the statute of limitations might run on a private claim if the class action has been proceeding for some time and a good amount of time has run since the violations occurred.

    You need to address this question to your class action attorney.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  3. Christopher Alexander Olsen


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is one of those times where I say I would need more information to help you. I've had several wage and hour class actions for unpaid overtime, rest and meal periods, etc. against fast food chains. Those chains are typically franchises and not directly linked to the corporation. Thus, what I'd like to know is if the class action settlement covered the franchise where you worked, or if your location was a corporate-owned store.

    The other thing you may want to do is contact the "Third Party Administrator," the company who mailed the notices. If any of your friends/co-workers received the notice, it should identify the company and provide a phone number. Call them and find out if your name is on the list. If it is on the list, you'll want to find out if they received a returned mail notice concerning any packages sent to you, when the distribution is, and whether it's too late to opt-out of the settlement or accept its terms (and collect.)

    If you were not on the list, there's a chance that you could continue your claim through the labor commissioner.

    There's a lot of open issues here. But at the very least, contact the third party administrator.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,432 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,432 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering