I am in need of an atty, to defend a TRO dropped on my doorstep, that is filled with slander and lies. i got it on 08/03/12,

Pasadena, CA |

my ex girlfriend left TRO against me on my apt. doorstep, on 08/03/12, it was filled with lies, and stated i threatend to shoot her, she also stated i am bi-polar, which im not, and requested 52 week counceling? This stems from the fact she owes me money she borrowed , we stopped seeing each other 1 month ago. I need your help, fast, can she get away with lies ?

You do need to respond to the TRO and it may be best to contact your local County Bar Association to hire an attorney in your area. If you are in Pasadena you can go to this link http://www.pasadenabar.org/Search-Attorneys.aspx to get a referral from that association.

Judges are not stupid. They see breakup revenge TROS filed a lot. Be calm and be truthful. I don't think you need at attorney. As far as "get away with lies"-- yes, in litigation the parties are immune from libel. But as you don't live with her, on these facts, she will not be believed--the exaggerations and irrelevant facts are a tell. (Why does she care if you are bipolar if you are not married? NOT RELEVANT. Not her business.)

I really will be surprised if her request even for a permanent order is granted. Again --SHE IS NOT THE FIRST FIBBER THE JUDGE HAS HAD TO LISTEN TO.

i sent you an email , please call :)

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Oops oh wrll we did catch up!

George Baker Richardson

George Baker Richardson

Except for the part about not needing a lawyer, I agree. I think you would be well served to at least consult with an experienced family law attorney. You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below. http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

The case is OVER. We took care of it.

First of all you have to be served correctly, dropping off on your door step is not proper. That's the first thing I would tell the judge. As has been said judges have seen it all. Tell your side calmly.

Contact a local attorney to assist you if you feel you can't do it on your own.

Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

he did. Moi.

James Louis Miller

James Louis Miller

Excellent

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Thanks-- your advice --said judges have seen it all. Tell your side calmly. --was most sensible, Refreshing!!!

I must respectfully disagree with the one response to your question which suggested that you don't need to speak to an attorney about this. Your ex has accused you of committing a crime, and what you say in court, in response to this request for a restraining order, can be used against you in a criminal proceeding. ("You have the right to remain silent....") A DVPA permanent restraining order, if granted, can have LONG-TERM SERIOUS consequences in your life. You should contact, and speak to, an EXPERIENCED family law attorney, IMMEDIATELY.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

I am on it. But your remarks are typical scare tactics and "respectful" or not do not reflect well on the profession. And not to be TOO accurate since when is "being bipolar" a crime? Sorry but this answer rates a "fail".

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

EVERY revenge DV allegation says these things.Most iof this was ancient,and all of it is BS and I guarantee this judge will NOT grant the relief requested, and yes I have ridden in this rodeo. I hate taking this guy's money, frankly, but he already feels less terrified. THAT i what I am doing for him.

Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

DVPA restraining orders have serious long term life consequences, including a automatic ban on possessing a gun, and they can show up on employment background and security checks. Without knowing ALL the facts and allegations, I also wouldn't gamble with the risk that some DA or City Attorney somewhere MIGHT decide to file a criminal case (I've seen it happen more than it should). With those potential consequences, the prudent course is for this gentleman to at least consult an experienced family law attorney before he tries going into court alone.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

I am consulting. the last time I dealt with one if these breakup TROS the judge threw it out without letting me open my mouth. You will not another attorney agreed with me. Here on Avvo, If I REALLY thought the many vengeful women who do this had the power to ruin an entire life I'd do something -trust me. That would be REALLY scary! Criminal charges my ass. She alleges BS, the police were NEVER called and the main allegations were that these "gun etc" acts were in 2005. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Like the man said, THESE JUDGES HAVE HEARD IT ALL AND THIS IS not A MARRIAGE. IT'S A break up.

Recommended articles about Family law