I am in need of an atty, to defend a TRO dropped on my doorstep, that is filled with slander and lies. i got it on 08/03/12,

Asked over 2 years ago - Pasadena, CA

my ex girlfriend left TRO against me on my apt. doorstep, on 08/03/12, it was filled with lies, and stated i threatend to shoot her, she also stated i am bi-polar, which im not, and requested 52 week counceling? This stems from the fact she owes me money she borrowed , we stopped seeing each other 1 month ago. I need your help, fast, can she get away with lies ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James Louis Miller

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First of all you have to be served correctly, dropping off on your door step is not proper. That's the first thing I would tell the judge. As has been said judges have seen it all. Tell your side calmly.

    Contact a local attorney to assist you if you feel you can't do it on your own.

    Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific... more
  2. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Judges are not stupid. They see breakup revenge TROS filed a lot. Be calm and be truthful. I don't think you need at attorney. As far as "get away with lies"-- yes, in litigation the parties are immune from libel. But as you don't live with her, on these facts, she will not be believed--the exaggerations and irrelevant facts are a tell. (Why does she care if you are bipolar if you are not married? NOT RELEVANT. Not her business.)

    I really will be surprised if her request even for a permanent order is granted. Again --SHE IS NOT THE FIRST FIBBER THE JUDGE HAS HAD TO LISTEN TO.

  3. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I must respectfully disagree with the one response to your question which suggested that you don't need to speak to an attorney about this. Your ex has accused you of committing a crime, and what you say in court, in response to this request for a restraining order, can be used against you in a criminal proceeding. ("You have the right to remain silent....") A DVPA permanent restraining order, if granted, can have LONG-TERM SERIOUS consequences in your life. You should contact, and speak to, an EXPERIENCED family law attorney, IMMEDIATELY.

  4. Michelle Louise Blair


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You do need to respond to the TRO and it may be best to contact your local County Bar Association to hire an attorney in your area. If you are in Pasadena you can go to this link http://www.pasadenabar.org/Search-Attorneys.aspx to get a referral from that association.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,129 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,129 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering