I am in CA and have been legally separated for 8 years. I am the respondant. What is next step for dissolution of marriage?

Danville, CA |

We have a 12 year old child together and visitation is loosley based upon what it was in 2002 when we filed. Child support case is filed with Contra Costa county.

If your spouse reserved the right to amend the petition when he/she initially filed, then that person can simply amend and file for dissolution. If not, a new petition for dissolution will need to be filed. If you have already divided all the marital assets (which you would have done to get the legal separation) then the dissolution process will be fairly straightforward. I would recommend that you at least set up a consultation with an experienced family law attorney in your area and bring your legal separation paperwork so that they can properly advise you on how to move forward. Good luck.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Divorce