I am in business with my brother. I am having a problem with his wife doing our bookwork, he wont tell her to get out

Asked 5 months ago - North Olmsted, OH

I have told my brother that I won't to hire a cpa but I don't think he will tell his wife. What can I do? Our business is an llc with no operating agreement

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . This is why an LC needs a written Operating Agreement. But in the absence of that, I'm guessing OH corporate law makes this LLC operate like a partnership, and if OH is like CA, then when 2 people co-own a business, each gets 50% and it's not at all uncommon for 2 people to disagree and there's no one to break a tie like the one you're experiencing.

If this isn't the only thing you don't agree about, then what you and your brothercan do is go see a business lawyer who can represent the LLC and create an Operating Agreement that's got a mechanism to break ties or your business will keep getting bogged down in 50-50 disputes like this one.

And maybe it's time to re-think going into business with your brother. You need to ask your LLC business lawyer about buyout provisions.