I am in a labor union. My Business agent has filed charges against us on behalf of the client.

Asked 12 months ago - Edison, NJ

So we were on a rate card job (no CBA) and the client who was negotiating a contract with us got pissed because we followed correct osha procedure on something. Afterward our union Business agent filed charges against us on behalf of the client for disrespecting the client ! isnt that either conflict of interest of breach of contract (based on my paying dues for representation)? Is it not the unions jobs to DEFEND me against complaints from management and not band together with them against me? Whether the complaint ever actually happened from the employer is questionable, & may have only been used as a negotiating ploy in any case but even if the employed called and made a complaint, it isnt the business agent's job to file charges against his own brothers is it?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . (My response assumes you work in the private sector, not the public sector.)

I'm not sure I even understand this! With who or what agency did the BA file charges, and what kind of charges? What were the allegations in the charge? When you say "on behalf of the client," do you mean under the client's name, as representative of the client, or what? And who is "us"? (I'm not suggesting you respond to these questions here on Avvo. Avvo is a public web site and anyone can read what you post here, including the union, the employer, and the rest of the world.)

You should look at your union bylaws and constitution. There might be something in there that says no union member shall take any action against the interest of the union . . . I can see an argument that what you did interfered with CBA negotiations, but such an interpretation would most likely be in violation of the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act, 29 U.S.C. ยงยง 401 et seq. (LMRDA) (aka Landrum-Griffin Act) as well as OSHA laws.

That same bylaw provision may provide an opportunity for you to file charges against the BA.

You would be well advised to consult with an attorney before you proceed, and to do so very quickly before any time limits run out. If there are enough of you involved, you can share the cost so it won't be too oppressive for any one of you to fund.

It may be difficult to find an attorney who knows union law and also assists union members in cases against unions, because most attorneys who know anything about unions either represent unions, so are unlikely to take a case against a union, or are anti-union right-wingers who want to bust unions and destroy the only tool working people have to counter management excess. The good thing is that because you are dealing with federal law, you are probably able to use an attorney in any state.

A good source for information about the rights of union members is the Association for Union Democracy: http://aud2.uniondemocracy.org/.