Skip to main content

I am in Tennessee and my wife filed for divorce in California.

Hermitage, TN |
Filed under: Divorce

My wife wants 1000 dollar every month and she wants to carry my last name. She didn't mention how long she wants money from me. We don't have any kids or property under our name. I don't know what to do

Attorney Answers 3


You need to retain an attorney to represent you. Be sure to take copies of the documents you were served with to your first meeting. I would start by talking with a family law attorney in TN but it may be necessary for you to retain counsel in CA. If you would like to discuss further, please call my office at 800-637-2209 to schedule a free consultation.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

Mark as helpful


Not being licensed in California, I'm not sure of how their law works. If she has hired a lawyer, you will likely need to fight this in California. If she has just done this on her own, there's a chance she has messed somethgin up and you could get it dismissed in CA and then you could file in TN. If this were a TN case, I'd feel comfortable telling you it doesn't sound like a difficult case at all. Find an expereicned CA family lawyer who can help you out. If it somehow gets sent back to TN (doubtful) consult with a TN lawyer (or best of both worlds try to find somone licensed in bioth states)

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You should consult with a lawyer to see if there are any grounds to get the case dismissed in California and brought back to TN, depending on how long your wife has lived there.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Jill Zerfoss Grim

Jill Zerfoss Grim


States have specific residency requirements before being able to file for divorce there. In TN, you have to live here for at least six months.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics