I am helping a friend who cannot afford an attorney file immigration papers , Do I file the I-601A before the I-485?

Asked 11 months ago - Lihue, HI

As you can guess by my question my friend is an illegal that has overstayed for over 1 year. I have already filed a I-130 for the individual and their spouse. We are working on collecting all the paperwork needed for the I-485 but I want to know if I can file the I-601A first since a relationship (marriage) to a US citizen has been established with the I-130 and the fees have been payed for that form as well.

1. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Did your friend enter the country illegally? If not they may not be a need for the waiver. An I-601A waiver is very complex and your friend should consult an immigration attorney to make sure that everything is done accurately and completely.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . If you truly want to help your friend, then lend or give him a fistful of dollars with which to at least schedule a private consultation with an immigration lawyer to properly understand the process ahead, before some fatal mistakes are made. No none files a waiver on his/her own. Those that do without the expert guidance of an immigration attorney are doomed to fail.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

2

Answered . If you really want to do your friend, and yourself, a favor, tell him to consult with an attorney. That way, he can obtain quality professional representation and you can avoid practicing law without a license.