I am head of household but when my wages were garnished 2 years ago, I did not have any kids. Can i reduce my garnishment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pioneer Credit Recovery is who i pay and its for defaulted student loans.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Patricia A Dzikowski

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . If it is the Department of Education that initiated the garnishment as a result of a federal student loan or a federally guaranteed student loan, the head of family wage exemption may not apply. These types of garnishments generally take place without the creditor first obtaining a judgment.

    The comments added are for general informational purposes only and are not intended to provide or be a substitute... more
  2. Gregory Neil Bachand

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Yes, you can petition the court to modify the order to fit your circumstances. Forms are available on most judicial websites.

    Start your research by following the link below.:

    Attorneys from Bachand & Bachand try to answer questions in the spirit of "giving back" to the community. If... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,278 answers this week

3,202 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,278 answers this week

3,202 attorneys answering