I am having trouble communicating with my attorney. How can I gain access to my file without getting it from him?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I won a judgement against my landlord in 2010, but he still has not paid it. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get information from my lawyer, but he does not seem to be working on my case. I would like to know if I should retain a new lawyer to help me collect from my landlord. Also, is there a way I can get my file without asking my lawyer? Thank you.

1. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

3

1

Answered . I agree with Attorneys Rothstein and Shultz. Given these circumstances, I think it is best if you retain a new lawyer and ask him or her to retrieve your file from your previous lawyer. Good luck to you.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I don't see how you can get your file from your lawyer without asking your lawyer.

3. Charles Adam Shultz

2

1

Answered . Mr. Rothstein raises the obvious response. If your attorney has the file, how can you get it from him without asking him for it. As far as your case against the landlord, you can get copies of the pleadings from the court. I think you know the answer on whether you need to get a new lawyer.

If your attorney is not communicating with you and not working on your file, that is pretty telling of what you need to do.