I am having my citizenship interview in couple of weeks. On the interview letter, it said I need to bring 'Must' have documents.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rahway, NJ

One of the documents is 'Evidence of Selective Service Registration'. However, since i was on a valid non-immigrant visa till my 26th birthday (F-1 & H-1), I was NOT required to register. What kind of evidence I need to bring to the interview? Would the F-1, H-1 visa documents suffice to prove that I was on a valid non-immigrant visa OR do i still need to contact the selective service and get a status letter (Not sure if it would come on time).

Also, I am wondering whether the 'Must' have documents on the interview letter is same for all applicants as in my case I clearly stated that I didn't register for selective service on N-400 application but now I am being asked to bring an evidence of selective service registration.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Don't worry about that list. It's a generic and not a case specific one. As you can see, the selective service requirement doesn't apply to you.
    Make sure to bring your photo ID, SSN card, as well as passport. If you traveled out of the country a lot, then keep your passport in your pocket or bag and don't volunteer to show it unless expressly asked.
    Best of luck!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should take to the interview the originals of the copies you previously submitted.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering