I am having continued issues with my employer. Is this a valid pregnancy discrimination case and what can we do? Fee shifting?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicopee, MA

This is actually a follow-up to an original Q, as the situation has grown even worse. I'm an "independent contractor" in writing only. I told my boss at the beginning of the month that I'm pregnant & will be leaving at the end of the summer. She then sent an email to my husband's boss at a different company informing them of my pregnancy & expressing concern that he will be unable to fulfill his duties now that he is an expectant father which has resulted in decreased hours. Yesterday, she terminated my position almost a month ahead of my scheduled leave date & is becoming increasingly nasty in her communication with me. I have stellar job reviews & emails praising my performance. I believe she is acting in a punitive, & discriminatory manner due to my pregnancy & causing hardship on us.

1. Erik Hammarlund

3

Answered . If you're an independent contractor in writing only, you probably have a valuable wage claim. Also, it sounds like you probably have a pregnancy discrimination claim. That said, it is difficult to say for sure from a single vague Internet post.

You should contact an attorney ASAP, while the evidence and testimony are still fresh in your mind.

2. Thomas J Callahan

2

Answered . I think there is something here, especially since she incredibly took it upon herself to call your husband's employer. Consult a local attorney and/or Mass. Commission Against Discrimination.

3. Lauren Craig Redmond

2

Answered . It does sound like you have a discrimination claim based on your pregnancy, and a wage claim as well. You should consult with an attorney who does discrimination in the workplace, as well as wage & hour cases. I'd be happy to provide you with a free consultation to determine exactly what viable claims you may have.

Congratulations on your impending motherhood.