Skip to main content

I am going to file a Motion to Vacate a Restraining Order against me because the facts at the hearing did NOT justify the order.

Rodeo, CA |

So I was wondering if I have to file this in an Appeal Court, or do I file it back at the Family Division of the Superior Court where all this happened? Oh, and do I have to also file a Request to Vacate the R/O? Or just a Motion, Notice of Motion and Points and Authorities, I presume? Thanks for your help! I LOVE the law.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. If you disagree with the judge's ruling, you can (a) file an appeal, or (b) file a motion for new trial. That you disagree with the trial judge about the decision to grant the restraining order is NOT grounds to file a motion to vacate. Either an appeal or a motion for new trial are technically complicated procedures with strict time limits, and NEITHER is a do-it-yourself project.

Domestic violence topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics