I am going to court for not having a front license plate on my car. Can I get a fair trial if there is a conflict of interest?

Asked 12 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

The "plaintiff" is the state and the judge works for the state. The "plaintiff' writes the paycheck for him/her. How can I get a fair trial when there is clearly a conflict of interest?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This ild gambit has been tried and tried and tried again. It has never worked and it isn't going to work for you, either. But it will annoy the starch out of the judge who has to spend two minutes dealing with this old bad idea. You might want to think through whether there are any reasons applicable to your case to avoid that result.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more
  2. Andrew Lawrence Weitz


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . The judge’s paycheck doesn't depend on the outcome of your traffic hearing. The judiciary is one of the three branches of government established by the United States Constitution. The individual state constitutions establish the judiciary of the individual states. A judge is sworn to apply the law evenly and fairly. Judges must be employed by someone. Whom would you rather have employ the judge?

    I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,693 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,693 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering