I am going to be charged of Mortgage fraud in federal court. Can I safely use a Federal Public Defender? Broke and accused...

Vancouver, WA |

Charges stem from my previous employer, a Mortgage broker in WA. I haven't been charged yet, but it is looking highly probable. I retained an atty locally, but they are not lic. to do business in the state that I am likely to be charged in (OR), and I spennt everything I had on his services. Now I am without any money to fund my defense, and looking at some very serious charges. ZERO Criminal Record of any kind, Father of 1, the households breadwinner, and a Us Navy Veteran. HELP!

1. You should rely on the advice your local attorney has given you.

2. Yes. Federal public defenders are often excellent lawyers.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

3. I know several attorneys who do/have worked for the FPD's office in Portland. Excellent lawyers all around. They are, usually, going to carry a heavier caseload than a privately retained attorney and, therefore, usually have less time to spend on an individual case, but I would hire any one of them that went into private practice if I needed a criminal defense attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

4. If you retained an attorney having told him/her that your matter could result in charges arising out of acts alleged to have been committed in OR, the attorney should have told you s/he couldnt take the case. I think you should ask for all or at least some of your money back - I think it is arguably fraud to accept money for a case in a state in which you arent able to practice.

But having said that, you are in good hands with the federal public defenders in OR. They are conscientious, vigorous, and more than competent. Your case will be in good hands with any of them.

5. If you truly can not afford your own lawyer in Oregon, then stick with the Federal Public Defender office. If there is any way you can afford your own lawyer, call Noel Grefenson of Salem, OR. I kid you not, Noel is just plain dangerous as a defense guy. Portland is not all that far from Portland.

6. Federal Public Defenders generally have access to a number of great resources through their national network. Additionally, they only practice in federal courts and are extremely well-versed in the intricacies of their district, including the quirks of judges and prosecutors.

http://seidenlawoffice.com/ The information available through this site is not, nor intended to be, legal advice. You should contact an attorney to discuss your own personal set of circumstances. Past results do not guarantee future results. Each case is unique and should be judged on its own merits. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.

Federal crime topics