Skip to main content

I am going through a divorce, but my name on the marriage certificate is spelled wrong, does that mean my marriage is not valid?

Inwood, WV |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

I really hope not!

Attorney Answers 1


No. It is what we call a "scrivener's error". Minor, of no consequence.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

Mark as helpful

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics