I am going for my Naturalization interview soon and I got my green card based on VAWA?

Newark, NJ |

During the interview, will USCIS start to question me about the abuse all over again and the things that happened between me and my spouse? Will they expect me to re approve my case? What should I expect? Can someone please with VAWA experience answer this question?

1. No ... they won't ask you to tell your sad story again.

They will focus closely on the past 5 years. If you paid taxes, child support, or other responsibilities ... you shod be fine.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. They should ask questions tailored to determine your eligibility for citizenship. However, I cannot tell you with 100% certainty they won't ask any vawa related questions. Hire a lawyer and have him appear with you if you are concerned.

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

3. Nothing. You will not be asked about any of it.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

4. They will not ask you VAWA related questions.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

5. They are not supposed to ask you questions about the abuse, and normally they won't. However, I have heard of occasions where inappropriate questions are asked. Just like every other profession, not every immigration officer does his or her job properly. The best way to assure this does not happen is to have a lawyer to with you to the interview.

6. No one should apply for naturalization without using a lawyer. First, the application cannot be withdrawn if you subsequently realize that you should not have applied for one reason or another, and second, filing the application may occasionally lead to Removal (i.e. deportation). In short, the benefits of a lawyer far outweigh the risks, and it would be prudent to get help for something as important as immigration..

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

7. The VAWA application was adjudicated at the Vermont Service Center. They are not to ask you further information concerning the abuse. That portion has been decided and approved, and you have your green card. In all likelihood, they will ask you questions to determine your eligibility for naturalization, not questions concerning the abuse. That doesn't mean that the officer won't ask you, because I've seen officers ask even though they are not supposed to re-adjudicate the VAWA.

8. They may ask some questions about how you acquired your green card status, however, a re-adjudication of the VAWA case would be unwarranted.

Tax law topics