I am getting ready to file a chaper 7. Is prepaid rent considered an asset?

Asked over 5 years ago - Bellevue, WA

I have to move and I am finding it difficult to get a landlord to rent to me given my financial situation. I have found one that is willing to give me a lease if a pay 6mos. rent in advance. Would that be considered an asset? Would I be better off not disclosing the prepaid rent?

1. E. Brian Davis

Answered . You must disclose the prepaid rent, and all other assets, under penalty of perjury. By deliberately failing to list an asset, you could end up being charged with bankruptcy fraud and being sent to federal prison.

List the prepaid rent as an asset. Check the Washington state exemption scheme to determine how best to exempt that asset from being seized. That is one of the key things that a bankruptcy lawyer should do for you.

The rule in bankruptcy is: DISCLOSE DISCLOSE DISCLOSE. That is how you stay out of trouble.