I am getting married in Missouri in May. I am in process of Bankruptcy. Can debtors come after soon to be spouse.

Kansas City, MO |
Filed under: Credit score

If bankruptcy is not discharged by wedding date. Can my spouses credit be hurt by my debt.

1. If you are a no asset case and your case is filed already, you should have no problem obtaining a discharged by your wedding, if the case is routine. Also, the assets the bankruptcy court is concerned with are those that you have when you filed (this would not include your soon to be spouses property). Your debts are your own and would have been incurred prior to your marriage which is called individual debt; however, depending on your states property laws, the debt you incur after marriage may be joint. One note of caution, as you don't have a lot of time, hire an experienced lawyer - if your case gets dismissed you may not have time to refile. Good luck and congratulations!

2. As a general rule, creditors can only "come after" a person if they have a contract stating that someone has agreed to be legally bound to pay the debt. Your new spouse may be responsible for your debts made after you get married by law but not for debts made before you got married or that were listed in your bankruptcy.

If you apply for credit together in the future, it is possible that a mistake could be made & your bankruptcy could migrate to your new spouse's credit. Should that happen, it is a mistake & a dispute should be filed with the credit bureaus.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. I agree with Ms. Wynn and Ms. Bunce. the short answer is no, this sould not affect your spouse and if for some reason it does show up on his credit report, he should dispute the erroneous reporting on his credit. Your debt prior to the marriage is your sole debt, just as his debt prior to the marriage is his debt, not yours.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).